To get us all in the Christmas spirit, Aldo is sharing his recipe for a festive panettone, great served with ice cream and a glass of prosecco, enjoy!
Ingredients – serves 8
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- Finely grated rind of ½ a lemon
- Finely grated rind of ½ an orange
- 400g (14oz) plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100g (4oz) raisins or sultanas
- 75g (3oz) chopped mixed peel
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Butter a 20cm (8 in) cake tin and line with lightly buttered greaseproof paper.
- Pour the milk into a bowl and sprinkle in the sugar and yeast. Leave for around 10 minutes – it should start to go frothy.
- Combine the butter and caster sugar in a bowl and beat them together until they are light and fluffy. Then gradually beat in the eggs, followed by the lemon and orange rind and vanilla extract.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Now gently fold in the milky/yeast fluid, followed by the creamed butter/sugar mixture. Mix them all together until you have a soft dough.
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until it’s smooth.
- Place the dough into an oiled plastic bag (or cover with a tea-towel and leave in a warm place). Leave it for about an hour until it has doubled in size.
- Sprinkle the raisins/sultanas and mixed peel over the dough. Knead until they are completely mixed in.
- Place the mixture in the cake tin and leave it in a warm place, until it has doubled in size again. It will take about 45 minutes.
- When it has risen, bake it in the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180C, Gas Mark 4 and bake it for another 30 minutes. When cooked it should be golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Place the panettone on a baking rack to cool
- Dust it with icing sugar and serve.